Antwerpen (Marquisate) – Marchionatus Sacri Romani Imperii
Date of first edition: 1617
Date of this map: 1617 (date at bottom)
Dimensions (not including margins): 38,5 x 49,5 cm
Condition: Excellent. Strong paper and wide margins.
Condition rating: A+
Verso: text in Latin
From: Germania Inferior id est Provincuarum XVII
The renaissance city of Antwerp and its close vicinity
The city walls more or less correspondent with the “leien”, the inner boulevard. The citadel (in the South, or right) was built under Duke of Alva between 1567 and 1572 in order to better “control” the city (see engraving by Baudartius). The River Scheldt (Scaldis Fluvius) marks the border between Brabant (with the city) and Flanders. So river views are always taken from Flanders. See also the magnificent engraving by Clément de Jonghe.
Petrus Kaerius published a superb view of the Margraviate in his Germania Inferior of 1617. This masterfully engraved atlas presented the XVII Provinces and is in particular famous for its Leo Belgicus. Kaerius marks the city limits with obelisk-like stakes such as the Pael van Borgerhout or the Pael van Berchem (its lovely church is clearly visible). For those of you acquainted with Antwerp some familiar names pop-up: Thoog Kiel, Berschot, Willibrordus (with several windmills), Schijnt Broeck, gallows in Siekenen, etc… Also: den wech naer Merxem and wech naer Willruyck. The scale is in “Antwerpsche Roeden van 20 voeten”.
After 1623, the plates of the Kaerius atlas were sold to Claes Jansz. Visscher, who substituted his name for that of Van den Keere. In 1634, Visscher included many of these maps in his Germania Inferior.