Brussels (Jesuit college) – Collegium Societas Iesu Bruxellis

by Antoon Sanderus

Detail

Date of first edition:  first edition of Volume II, 1663

Date of this map: either 1663 or 1726-1727

Dimensions (not including margins): 46,3 x 35,4 cm

Condition: Excellent.

Condition rating: A+

From: Chorographia Sacra Brabantiae, 1659, Sanderus

 

Item number:
30001
Region:
Europe
Benelux
Belgium cities
Categories:
Recent Additions
Price (without VAT): 450,00 (FYI +/- $531,00 / £400,50)
We charge the following expedition costs in euro: 
– Benelux: 20 euro
– Rest of Europe: 30 euro
– Rest of the World: 50 euro

In stock

Sanderus shows a lost pearl in the city center

From the beginning of the 17th century settled several monasteries settled in the city quarter between the Sablon and the Coudenberg.  In the wake of Alexander Farnese the Jesuits came to Brussels in 1585. Four years later they bought the “court of Grimbergen” and some neighboring homes in the Ruisbroeck street to refurnish to it as a monastery. In 1604 they opened there the Saint Michael College. The construction of a church (on the site of the current “Gerechtsplein)” followed only to be completed in 1660. The buildings are spread over the area where the Lebeau street passes. In the right background is the square of the Grand Sablon.

Sanderus was born in 1586 as Sanders.

Related items