Date of first edition: 1575
Date of this map: 1575
Dimensions (not including margins): 36,5 x 50,2 cm
Dimensions (including margins): 38,5 x 54 cm
Condition: Very good. Strong paper. Good margins. Centre fold as published with slight age-toning. Nice colouring.
Condition rating: A
Verso: text in Latin; recto key in Latin
Map references: Van der Krogt 4, 2533; Fauser, #8213; Taschen, Br. Hog., p. 158
From: Civitates Orbis Terrarum, Vol. II; Van der Krogt 41:1-3, page 21
Maastricht commented by Braun
“Tricht is a large city, situated on both sides of the Meuse, joined by a fine stone bridge with ten arches. The part of the city that lies on the east bank is called Wyck. The city is subject in part to the bishop of Liège and in part to the Duke of Brabant, who is currently the invincible King of Spain, Philip. The main church is the Collegium of St Servatius, in which the relics of St Servatius and many other saints are kept.”
TRANSLATION CARTOUCHE LEFT: Maastricht, a city that is well known because of its natural position, its fortifications, the size of its population, its buildings and great collegiate foundations, reveals itself as a double city joined by a magnificent bridge.
ORIGINAL TITLE: Traiectum ad Mosam
Taschen on Maastricht
The Traiectum ad Mosam – “crossing over the Meuse” – gave Maastricht its name, and the city is shown in a view from the east over the Wyck and the Meuse in bird’s-eye perspective: on the right, above the 160-m-long stone bridge from the 13th century, we see first the Sint-Servaas basilica, on the left to the high tower of the late Gothic Sint-Janskerk (3) and further to the left the late Romanesque Onze-Lieve-Vrouwe church from the 11th/12th centuries (2). From 1284 onwards Maastricht was under the rule of the Dukes of Brabant and the prince-bishops of Liège. A major historical event was the conquest and looting of Maastricht by the Spanish during the Dutch Revolt on 1579.
Maastricht: an important historical town, great to visit
The important strategic location of Maastricht resulted in the construction of an impressive array of fortifications around the city during this period. The Spanish and Dutch garrisons became an important factor in the city’s economy. In 1579 the city was sacked by the Spanish army led by the Duke of Parma (sige of Maastricht of 1579). For over fifty years the Spanish crown took over the role previously held by the dukes of Brabant in the joint sovereignty over Maastricht. In 1632 the city was conquered by PrinceFrederik Hendrik of Orange and the Dutch States General replaced the Spanish crown in the joint government of Maastricht.
Since the Treaty of London in 1839 Maastricht became definitively a Dutch town. Today, it is the thriving Dutch (economic and educational) city in the South East of the country.
Maastricht – Traiectum ad Mosam Vulgo Maestrichtby Frederik de WitPrice (without VAT): €1 600,00 / $1 888,00 / £1 424,00
Rare large map with weapons of the city and of the prince bishop of Liège
Maastricht (siege in 1632) – Obsidio et Expugnatio Traiecti ad Mosamby Joan BlaeuPrice (without VAT): €800,00 / $944,00 / £712,00