Exeter – Civitas Exoniae (vulgo Excester) Urbs Primaria in Comitatu Devoniae
Date of first edition: 1617/1618
Date of this edition: 1617/1618
Dimensions (not including margins): 31,5 x 40,3 cm
Condition: excellent. Sharp copper engraving printed on paper. Centre fold is as published. Superb old hand coloured. Wide margins.
Condition rating: A+
Verso: Latin text
Reference: Taschen, Br. Hog., p. 434
From: the atlas Civitatis Urbis Terrarum (VI: Theatri praecipuarum Totius Mundi Urbium Liber Sextus Anno MDCXVII), date of first and of this edition: 1617/1618
Bexeter commented by Braun (on verso):
“In the city there are 15 parish churches, among which the most distinguished was built in honour of the holy Apostle Peter and now is embellished with fine houses all around it. In respect of the history of this city it is worth mentioning that the Britons resisted the Saxons, but finally were defeated by Athelstan. The latter fortified the city with walls, ramparts and bastions. A very old castle called Rougemont can be seen on top of the hill on which the city lies.”
CARTOUCHE: The city of Exonia (in English Exeter), the capital of Devonshire.
Taschen on Exeter:
This bird’s-eye view from the southwest shows the intact fortifications of the city and the grid-like arrangement of the Roman town of Isca Dumnoniorum. Situated almost at the same place as in Roman times is the harbour in the south, accessible through the Quay Gate. In this view the houses on the exaggeratedly wide streets appear very small beside the tall church towers, which underline the city’s character as an episcopal see. Exeter is dominated by the Gothic cathedral of St Peter. Further to the left can be seen the 12th-century Guild Hall, courthouse and meeting place of the guilds and seat of the city council. At top left the 11th-century Norman castle of Rougemont can be identified.