Brno – Brunn Vulgo Brinn
After a woodcut by Johann Willenberger, 1593.
Date of first edition: 1617
Date of this edition: 1625
Dimensions (not including margins): 26,5 x 54 cm
Dimensions (including) margins: 41,5 x 55,5 cm
Condition: Mint. Sharp copper engraving printed on paper. Old coloured. Centre fold as published. Centre bottom small tear, professionally restored at verso. Wide margins top and bottom; slim margins left and right.
Condition rating: A+
Verso: text in French
Map reference: Van der Krogt 4,2-1, 653; Taschen, Br. Hog., 484.
From: Théatre des Principales Villes de tout l’Univers Vol. VI. c. 1625. Van der Krogt 4,2-1, 41:1-3, page 29
Brno commented by Braun
“Brno (in Latin Bruna, in Bohemian Brno) is the most distinguished city in Moravia after the episcopal see of Olomouc and has more beautiful, grand and richly decorated buildings and houses than the other towns. It is impossible to say how old this city is, but we know that it cannot be new for many reasons, in particular the castle, which resembles the old Fanconian style of architecture. Today the provincial diets are normally held here. Recently the Moravian Estates acknowledged and paid homage to His Serene Highness Archduke Ferdinand here after he had been elected and crowned king of Bohemia.”
TRANSLATION OF CAPTION: Brunn, in the vernacular Brno, eminent city in the Margravate of Moravia. (Brunn Vulgo Brinn Marchionatus Moraviae Civitatis insignis)
Taschen on Brno
Brno is seen from the southeast, from an only slightly elevated viewpoint on the far side of the River Svratka. The city wall is fortified with an extraordinary number of towers, behind which can be seen many churches. Dominant on the right is the spire of St James’s church (N), which dates from the 14th to the 16th century. On the left the castle stands high above the city, on top of the Spilberk Hill. It was founded in the 13th century, and was the residence of the Margraves of Moravia (F) from the 14th century onwards. The cathedral of SS Peter and Paul, with its remarkable high saddleback roof, can be seen to the left of this, and to the right the tower of the Gothic town hall (H). The city is located in a favourable position, at the foot of the Spilberk Hill and at the confluence of the Svratka and the Svitava. It was first recorded in a document in the late 11th century. In the 12th/13th centuries Germans and Walloons settled here. In 1243 Brno was granted a municipal charter and a number of special privileges. In 1642 Brno replaced Olomouc as the capital of Moravia, and today it is the second-largest city in the Czech Republic after Prague.
This is an aereal view of Spilberk Castle; on the map identified left top with letter F. Its construction began as early as the first half of the 13th century by the Přemyslid kings. It was completed under King Ottokar II of Bohemia. From a major royal castle established around the mid-13th century, and the seat of the Moravian margraves in the mid-14th century, it was gradually turned into a huge baroque citadel considered the harshest prison in the Austro-Hungarian empire.