Warsaw – Varsovia

by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg

Detail

Date of first edition: 1617

Date of this edition: 1617

Dimensions (not including margins): 32 x 47 cm

Dimensions (including margins): 42,8 x 54,8 cm

Condition: excellent. Sharp copper engraving printed on hard paper. Old coloured. Wide margins. Old second fold line right of centre fold.

Condition rating: A+

Map reference: Van der Krogt 4, 4780; Taschen, Br. Hog., p. 473; Van der Krogt 4,41:1-3, page 47

From: Civitatis Urbis Terrarum (VI: Theatri praecipuarum Totius Mundi Urbium Liber Sextus Anno MDCXVII), first published 1617, this edition 1617, Köln. Van der Krogt 4,4780

Item number:
47004
Region:
Europe
Central and East Europe
Categories:
Recent Additions
Price (without VAT): 3 800,00 (FYI +/- $4 484,00 / £3 382,00)
We charge the following expedition costs in euro: 
– Benelux: 20 euro
– Rest of Europe: 30 euro
– Rest of the World: 50 euro

In stock

Warsaw commented by Braun (on verso)

“The most distinguished city in Warsaw, situated on the River Vistula […]. It may be well be that at the time when it still belonged to the Dukes of Masovia this city enjoyed greater prosperity than other cities. Nevertheless, after passing to the Polish crown penniless, as one might say, it developed so fast that in a short time one city became two, the new one being built on to the old one, both of them having similar buildings yet different jurisdictions and municipal charters. In both cities the houses and other buildings are built of stone, which is rare in Poland.”

Taschen on Warsaw

The city is shown from the east bank of the Vistula, with a view of bustling river traffic. The narrow bridge over the river was constructed in 1573. Warsaw was founded at the beginning of the 14th century. After the creation of the Polish-Lithuanian Union it became the centre of the new state, and the residence of the Polish kings was moved from Cracow to Warsaw in the years 1598-1611. This plate obviously originates from an earlier period: there is nothing to indicate that the city is a royal residence; the 14th-century castle is shown and not the palace, and there is no mention of a royal residence in the commentary. In addition, the 14th-century church of St John (centre) is shown with the tower that collapsed is 1602.

 

Related items