Date of first edition: 1588
Date of this edition: 1599
Dimensions (not including margins): 33,5 x 46,5 cm
Dimensions (including margins): 42,2 x 55,5 cm
Condition: Good. Sharp copper engraving printed on paper. Centre fold is as published. Old coloured. Wide margins. Natural age-toned with two water stains in bottom margin, not affecting the map. Map printed skewed on paper.
Condition rating: A
Verso: text in Latin
Map reference: IV, 41:1,4 (1599): page 32 and verso text end with min 30′; Taschen, Br. Hog., p. 310.
From: Civitatis Urbis Terrarum (IV: Liber Quartus Urbium Praecipuarum totius Mundi, first published 1588, this edition 1599), Bertram Buchholtz, Köln
This item is sold
Bad Segeberg commented by Braun (on verso)
“No one who is familiar with its location and its great abundance of wood will be surprised to learn that the Duchy of Holsatz, or Holstein, got its name from wood (German Holz) and forests, and that Holsatz means “sowed or set in wood and forests”. For the rest, it is a flat country with few hills and the most distinguished of the two is in no way uninhabited and is famous far and wide because of its monuments, with which it has been adorned by the celebrated Heinrich Rantzau.”
TRANSLATION OF CARTOUCHE TEXT: The castle of Segeberg, formerly Aelberga, embellishes Wagrien, the famous region in Holstein. This our work has been adorned with this view as well as views of other cities on the whole Cimbrian Peninsula that have never been published before, by the most illustrious D. Heinrich Rantzau, viceroy of the Danish Kings in the Duchies of Schleswig and Holstein and Dithmarschen and lord of this castle, unique patron of the muses.
Taschen on Bad Segeberg
The castle of Segeberg, shown from the north on the 110-m-high Kalkberg Hill, was built in the 12th century to defend the border area between Saxons and Slavs, together with the Augustinian monastery on the shore of the lake, and the market town along the road. The Romanesque church of St Mary is mentioned for the first time in 1199. The castle on the hill was constantly expanded up to 1340 and passed into the possession of Christian I of Denmark in 1449. After this, Segeberg was for long time the seat of the royal Danish governors, the most famous of which, Heinrich Rantzau, built the town hall. The castle was destroyed by Swedish troops in 1644.
Title: Arx Segeberga, quondam Aelberga, Wagram, Nobilem Holsatiae, Regionem, exornat