Rimini (Emilia-Romagna)

by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg

From Roman stronghold to a traditional sea resort

Detail

Date of first edition: 1588

Date of this edition: 1593

Dimensions (not including margins): 31 x 46,5 cm

Condition: excellent. Sharp copper engraving printed on paper. Centre fold is as published. Old hand coloured. Wide margins. Small tear in paper (not map) at bottom, professionally restored.

Condition rating: A+

Verso: text in French

From: Civitatis Orbis Terrarum (IV: Liber Quartus – Théatre des Principales Villes de tout L’Univers), first published 1588, this edition 1593, Köln

Item number:
43003
Region:
Europe
Italy & Malta
Categories:
Recent Additions
Price (without VAT): 750,00 (FYI +/- $885,00 / £667,50)
We charge the following expedition costs in euro: 
– Benelux: 20 euro
– Rest of Europe: 30 euro
– Rest of the World: 50 euro

Rimini commented by Braun (on verso):

“However, it is universally acknowledged that this city of Rimini  was visibly embellished by Octavian with massive buildings, especially since he also had inter alia a beautiful bridge built across the River Ariminus, which we shall come to presently and which still stands today, replete with its arches. The very ancient-looking remains of a theatre built of fired brick have also survived; in addition, inscriptions from antiquity are encountered here and there, which indicate how old the city is. Moreover, there are still some handsome palaces there, most of which were built by the noble House of Malatesta, as well as a splendid fountain in the market square.”

CARTOUCHE: Ariminum validum et munitum romandi olae opp. (translation: fortified city in Romagna)

Taschen on Rimini:

The fortified city is seen from the northeast in a bird’s-eye view. The Roman grid-like layout of the streets is still recognizable, with the Corse d’Augusto as the decumanus, forming the east-west axis with the triumphal arch of Augustus at the west end and the Ponte Augusto (Ponte di Tiberio) in the east. This bridge across the Marecchia, finished in AD 21 in the reign of Tiberius, is a pioneering achievement of Roman engineering with its breakwater spurs set at an oblique angle to the bridge, offering the least resistance to the river’s current. Left of centre is the cathedral, the Tempio Malestiano, built by Leon Mattista Alberti in the 15th century, and, standing tall in the background, the church of San Agostino. To the right is the Castello Sigismondo, the stronghold of the Malatesta, who ruled the city for centuries – not always to its advantage. At the end of the 16th cent., however, Rimini had already been incorporated into the Papal States.

Rimini, much more than a beach resort

The city was founded by the Romans in 268 BC. Throughout Roman times, Rimini was a key communications link between the north and south of the peninsula. On its soil, Roman emperors erected monuments such as the Arch of Augustus and the Tiberius Bridge to mark the beginning and the end of the Decumanus of Rimini. During the Renaissance, the city benefited from the court of the House of Malatesta, which hosted artists like Leonardo da Vinci and produced works such as the Tempio Malatestiano. The main monuments in Rimini are the Tiberius Bridge and the Arch of Augustus.

Today and thanks to its mild climate, the city is known as a sea resort with vast beaches.

Related items