Kodungallor (Cranganore) – Grond Teekening van den Fortresse Cranganoor

by François Valentyn

Detail

Date of first edition: 1724-2726

Date of this map: 1724-1726

Dimensions (not including margins): 29 x 37 cm

Condition: Excellent. Centre fold as published. Smaller margins.

Condition rating: A+

Verso: text in Latin

From:  “Oud en nieuw Oost-Indiën, vervattende een naaukeurige en uitvoerige verhandelinge van Nederlands mogentheyd in die gewesten, benevens eene wydluftige beschryvige der Moluccos … en alle de eylanden onder dezelve landbestieringen behoorende; het Nederlands comptoir op Suratte, en de levens der Groote Mogols”

Item number:
52001
Region:
Asia
India & Shri Lanka
VOC-WIC
Categories:
Recent Additions
Price (without VAT): 300,00 (FYI +/- $354,00 / £267,00)
We charge the following expedition costs in euro: 
– Benelux: 20 euro
– Rest of Europe: 30 euro
– Rest of the World: 50 euro

In stock

VOC at Cranganoor

Cranganoor (now Kodungallur or Kottapuram): from 1662 to 1770 possessed by the VOC. On the Malabar coast the VOC temporarily held posts at Kochi, Quilon, Pallippuram, Cranganoor Cannanur. The local rulers recognizedcertain rights by contract.

After the Dutch conquered Cranganoor on the Portuguese in 1662, they presented it to the zamorin (king) of Calicut as thanks for his assistance to the VOC in the further conquest of the Malabar Coast. But in 1666 the VOC started the restoration of the Portuguese fortress and they manned it with a garrison of fifty men. In fact, this Cranganoor always remained a purely military fortress to protect the important trading post in Cochin.

In the middle of the view one sees the cross-section of the fortification.

 

Related items