Muiden – Muiderslot
Date of first edition: 1649
Date of this map: 1649 or 1652
Dimensions (not including margins): 15,2 x 22,8 cm
Dimensions (including margins): 19,8 x 25,8 cm
Condition: Excellent. Sharp engraving on strong paper. No centre fold. Attractive discrete coloring. Wide margins.
Condition rating: A+
Verso: text in Latin
Map reference: Van der Krogt IV, -2,1, 2876; Fauser, 13086
From: Novum Ac Magnum Theatrum Urbium Belgicae Regiae. Amsterdam, J. Blaeu; Van der Krogt IV, 43:111 (1649) or 43:113 (1652)
In the 16th century P.C. Hooft (1581-1647), an author, poet and historian took over sheriff and bailiff duties for the area (Het Gooiland) became the owner of the castle. For 39 years he spent his summers in the castle and invited friends, scholars, poets and painters such as Vondel, Brederode, Huygens and Maria Tesselschade Visscher, over for visits. This group became known as the Muiderkring. He also extended the garden and the plum orchard, while at the same time an outer earthworks defense system was put into place.