Lambeth Palace – Der Pallast oder Residenz des Erzbischoffs von Canterbury ganandt Lambeth, an der Themse zu London. . .

by Académie Impériale (Augsburg)

Detail

Date of this view: 1760

Dimensions (not including margins): 30 x 38 cm

Condition: excellent. Sharp copper engraving. Vivid original colouring. Wide margins.

Condition rating: A+

Verso: blanc

 

Item number:
56008
Region:
Europe
British Isles
Optica prints
Categories:
Recent Additions
Price (without VAT): 650,00 (FYI +/- $760,50 / £591,50)
We charge the following expedition costs in euro: 
– Benelux: 20 euro
– Rest of Europe: 30 euro
– Rest of the World: 50 euro

In stock

Optica print of Lambeth Palace (London)

In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries there were many popular specialty establishments in Paris, Augsburg and London which produced optical viewing devices and special engravings to be viewed through them. In the 18th century the optical print or vue optique came into existence, whose exaggerated converging lines were intended to produce the optical illusion of deep recession. The viewing devices for which these perspective prints were produced consisted of a lens and a mirror, this requiring the use of reversed or mirror-image pictures.

Rare optica print illustrating Lambeth Palace, the official London residence of the Archbishop of Canterbury, with a detailed view of London in the Background and the River Thames with many boats in the front. Engraved by Jean Benoit Winckler. The Académie Imperiale was a well-known publisher of optical prints, established in Augsburg.

Optica print of Lambeth Palace by Winckler

This is the London accommodation place of the Archbishop of Canterbury, whose original residence was in Canterbury, Kent. Lambeth Palace is situated on the river Thames somewhere across the river in between the Palace of Westminster and the Tate Gallery. The palace currently contains the largest collection of books and documents on the Church of England. The estate was acquired by the archbishopric around 1200. After ransacking by Cromwellian troops during the English Civil War, it was soon rebuilt by archbishop William Juxon in 1663.

New construction was added to the building in 1834 byEdward Blore (1787–1879), who rebuilt much of Buckingham Palace later, in neo-Gothic style and it fronts a spacious quadrangle. The buildings form the home of the Archbishop, who is ex officio a member of the House of Lords and is regarded as the first among equals in the Anglican Communion.

Among the portraits of the archbishops in the Palace are works by Hans Holbein, Anthony van Dyck and William Hogarth.

 One notices top left on the optica print: Tower castle (across the River) and to its left Southwark Cathedral.

 

Related items