Brussels (Augustinian Convent) – Coenabium Bruxellenis Ord. Eremit. S Augustini

by Antoon Sanderus, Renier Blokhuysen

Detail

Date of first edition:  1663

Date of this map: 1663 or 1726-1727 (van Lom)

Dimensions (not including margins): 35,5 x 45 cm

Condition: Excellent. Wide margins. Centre fold as published.

Condition rating: A+

From: Chorographia Sacra Brabantiae,  (1663 Sanderus or 1726-1727 van Lom edition)

 

Item number:
30004
Region:
Europe
Benelux
Belgium cities
Categories:
Recent Additions
Price (without VAT): 450,00 (FYI +/- $531,00 / £400,50)
We charge the following expedition costs in euro: 
– Benelux: 20 euro
– Rest of Europe: 30 euro
– Rest of the World: 50 euro

In stock

Sanderus with a piece of Brussels

The current Augustijnenstraat was part of the Wolvengracht. The northern side of the Wolvengracht was already dominated by the 14th century by the Augustinian monastery, with subsequent additional monastery buildings and the baroque church. The gardens at the side of the monastery were at the River Senne. The church was built between 1621 and 1642 by architect Jacques Franc Quart (1583-1651) at the request of the Augustinian Order (was established which since 1589 in Brussels).

The church was closed in 1796 by the revolutionary forces, but reopened in 1805. She was transformed by King William I in 1816 to Protestant church and got after independence multiple functions such as theater, exhibition hall and post office. The Brussels public funds Stock Exchange was established by decree of 19 Messidor year IX (July 8, 1801) and originally housed in the old monastery buildings. The first Salon de Bruxelles was also organised here in 1833.

When the Brouckèreplein was constructed and the Augustinian Church (1893) was demolished, its facade was transferred to Ixelles (on the square at the end of the rue du Bailli) rebuilt and the new Trinity Church. For assigning it the French Government pointed to the former Augustinian monastery: a first Brussels Show was held in 1833. When the Brouckèreplein was constructed and the Augustinian Church (1893) was demolished, its facade was transferred to Ixelles (on the square at the end of the rue du Bailli). It was rebuilt there to become the front of the new Trinity Church.

Related items