Hainaut – Coats of Arms
by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg
Rarity in the city atlas
Date of first edition: 1588
Date of this map: 1588
Dimensions (not including margins): 33,5 x 41,2 cm
Dimensions (including margins): 42 x 56,4 cm
Condition: Vergy good. Centre fold as published. Old colour. Strong print and clear image. Spots of age-toning.
Condition rating: A+
Map reference: Taschen, Br. Hog., p. 227
From: Civitates Orbis Terrarum, Urbium praecipuarum totius mundi, liber quartus, first edition 1588.
Price (without VAT, possibly to be added): €750,00 (FYI +/- $802,50 / £667,50)
Unless otherwise specifically stated on this map page, we charge the following expedition costs in euro:
– Benelux: 25 euro
– Rest of Europe: 40 euro
– Rest of the World: 60 euro
Hainaut: a rare table of arms
This table of arms (Nobilis Hannoniae) is a rather strange insertion in the city atlas of Braun and Hogenberg. Moreover, very few of these tables even exist. The cities of this county are illustrated as towers (with their shields incorporated) guarding the wooden wall. Smaller locations are shown inside the oval circle. The double headed eagle (top) symbolizes the principality’s dependence on the Holy Roman Empire. Mons, its capital, dominates the bottom center. Many cities were lost to France, such as Vallencenes, Avesne, Maubeuge, Bavay, Beaumont and Quesnoli. Between 1051 and 1280 Hainaut was part of Flanders. From 1280 and until 1356 the local House of Avesne (top right) ruled this region. In that (last) year the House of Wittelsbach took over.
For the locals: Ath, Bince, Cimay and Enghien are familiar cities in this county. Moreover, Hal (Halle) had always been part of Hainaut, not of Brabant: see its tower middle left. On the other hand, Tournai (Doornik), situated on the “west” bank of the river Scheldt (Schelde), was historically part of the county of Flanders and not of Hainaut. Therefore, Tournai is not to been seen on this table of arms.