Frankenberg (Hesse) – Francenbergum, vel ut alij Francoburgum Hassiae Opp.

by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg

Detail

Date of first map: 1581

Date of this map:  1581

Dimensions (without margins): 30,5 x 48,7 cm

Dimensions (including margins): 40,2 x 51 cm

Condition:  Very good copper engraving. Centre fold as published. Traces of wrinkled paper in top right corner. A little of the text from verso slightly showing through.

Condition rating: A+

Verso: text in Latin

Map reference: Van der Krogt 4, 1358; Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p.208

From: Civitates Orbis Terrarum, Urbium praecipuarum totius mundi Liber tertius.

 

 

 

 

Item number:
38011
Region:
Europe
Germany
Categories:
Recent Additions
Price (without VAT): 400,00 (FYI +/- $472,00 / £356,00)
We charge the following expedition costs in euro: 
– Benelux: 20 euro
– Rest of Europe: 30 euro
– Rest of the World: 50 euro

In stock

Frankenberg commented by Braun

“Charlemagne vested the town of Frankenberg with many freedoms and privileges, which it still enjoys to this day, and on account of its valiant and victorious soldiers awarded a signet, upon which there formerly appeared a golden castle with a tower, together with the letter F and a golden crown.”

CAPTION: Frankenberg or, according to others, Francoburgum, a town in Hesse.

Taschen on Frankenberg

Frankenberg, seen here from the northeast, lies on a hill above the River Eder. The hillside is covered with fields neatly separated by bushes and fences. Soaring above the town is the massive Liebfrauenkirche, which was modelled on St Elizabeth’s church in Marburg. The New Town was founded in 1335 at the foot of the hill (right) and merged with the Old Town as late as 1556. Frankenberg was founded by Conrad of Thuringia in 1233/34 to prevent the archbishops of Mainz from expanding their sphere of influence in the region. The town quickly developed into a bustling centre of trade and commerce.

Frankenberg

The town was built in 1233-1234 by the Thuringian Landgrave.

At the foot of the mountain on which the town of Frankenberg was built crossed two old military and commercial roads. From the area of the lower Main, from the Burgwald range, came the Weinstraße (“Wine Road”), crossing the Eder through a ford and then going on through the heights on the river’s left bank to Westphalia. From the west came the Siegener Straße (“Siegen Road”) over the Lahn-Eder watershed, leading round the mountain to the north and further on into Lower Hesse.

The church, the Liebfrauenkirche, was completed in 1353:

 

Related items