Kochi – Kochin
Spice centre at the Malabar coast
Date of this view: ca. 1750
Dimensions (not including margins): 16 x 27 cm
Condition: excellent. Copper engraving on strong paper. Old colouring. Double centre fold as published. Wide margins.
Condition rating: A+
Kochi, trade centre
Kochin (now Kochi) was the centre of Indian spice trade for many centuries, and was known to the Greeks, Romans, Jews, Syrians, Arabs and Chinese since ancient times. It became the very first settlement of the Portuguese in India. Already occupied by them in 1503, it remained the capital of Portuguese India until this function went over to Goa in 1530.
The city was conquered by the VOC in 1663. They renamed Fort Immanuel as Fort Stormsburg. In 1795 (after French occupation of the Dutch Republic; the French laid other colonial priorities) they withdrew from the city, after which the city came in British hands in 1813.
In 1947, when India gained independence from the British colonial rule, Kochi was the first princely state to join the Indian Union willingly.