Dendermonde – Teneramonda vulgo Dendermonde
One of Blaeu’s beauties
Date of first edition: 1641-44 (by A. Sanderus, Flandria Illustrata).
Date of this map: 1649
Dimensions (not including margins): 42 x 53 cm
Dimensions (with margins): 53, 3 x 63,3 cm
Condition: Excellent sharp copper engraving on strong paper with wide margins. Centre fold as published.
Condition rating: A+
Verso: text in Latin
Map references: Van der Krogt 4, 1027; Fauser, 2958
From: Novum Ac Magnum Theatrum Urbium Belgicae Regiae. Amsterdam, J. Blaeu
At the confluence of Scheldt and Dender
Grave sites go back to the Gallo-Roman period. A first fortress was built in the 10th century. Dendermonde received her city charter in 1233 and grew quickly after that thanks to a thriving cloth industry. The 16th century saw a decline in its fortunes. In 1572 Dendermonde was conquered by Willem van Oranje (William the Silent). The same year however Spanish troops under Duke Alexander Farnese of Parma, took over the city, looted and mostly destroyed it.
A decade later, the Spaniards built their own fortress (which is clearly visible) between the Dender and the Scheldt.
This superb map has a key to locations, decorated with 2 panoramic views and 4 coats-of-arms. It is dedicated to Gaspard Antoine d’Aubermont and eleven other magistrates of the town of Dendermonde by Vedastus du Plouich.