Gent – Plan de la ville et citadelle de Gand
Main buildings put in relief
Date of first edition: 1712
Date of this map: 1712
Dimensions (not including margins): 60 x 46,8 cm
Dimensions (including margins): 61,6 x 48,8 cm
Condition: Excellent. Very sharp copper engraving on strong paper.
Condition rating: A+
From: Table des cartes des Pays Bas et des Frontià¨res de France, Avec un recueil des plans des villes, sià¨ges et battailles données entre les Hauts Alliés et la France. Bruxelles, H. Fricx, 1712
City under siege
The Siege of Ghent (18–30 December 1708) was the last operation of the 1708 campaign season during the War of the Spanish Succession. After successfully taking Lille shortly before, the Duke of Marlborough moved his forces onto the town of Ghent where after a 12-day siege the town’s governor, Count de la Motte, surrendered.
The defending French, believing that the fighting had concluded for the winter, had broken their army up after the loss of Lille, but Marlborough decided to make one more push in an effort to retake Ghent. His army arrived in the town on 18 December, where they found a defence consisting of around 18,000 with instructions to defend the town to the last.
As no relieving force appeared, de la Motte relinquished the town on that date to Marlborough.
One notices the large areas of inundation, as well as the three positions of attack. The map gives an overview of the main chronology of the siege. The main buildings are beautifully put in perspective.